Monday 3 December 2007

And That's When I got Myself Arrested by the King's Personal Bodyguard

*Phone rings*

‘Hello? Hello is anybody there? Hello?’... Hi! Peter? Yes, I can hear you!.... Yes, it’s Jenny. How are you?.... Yes, I’m ok, things are pretty much fine here.... One smallish thing… nothing major really, just a little bit of a misunderstanding. The thing is… well, I’ve been arrested for trying to bribe the King’s personal bodyguard.

No, I kind of wish that I was kidding. Or that I spoke better Arabic – that would help a lot. I really must start those classes again.... Well, we were on the airport and they’d kind of shut it down while the convoy went past.... So we were waiting, and the bodyguard kind of took over security so they wanted to see my passport, right?...

No I did have a proper visa but…The thing is, I had a 100 dinar note in my pocket and I kind of forgot about it, and somehow it got caught up in my passport. So yeah, I um, handed the two over together..... Yes that was when they made me get out of the car.... The thing was, that when they opened the visa page and it was a bit unclear they got a bit worried then....Well, I had a bottle of orange squash in my bag and it leaked a bit.... No, all of the pages....Yes I’ll have to go to London and get a new one,, it’s just that right now, what I really really need an Arabic speaking lawyer.....’

No comments: